2012 Dubrovnik conference, Croatia
Final report on the Meeting of the IGU Commission on Globalization, marginalization, and local and regional response C08-27, Dubrovnik (Croatia)
Altogether 31 papers were delivered, apart from various introductory and concluding ad-dresses.
The conference was divided into the following sessions:
Monday, August 20
• Inaugural session
• Session 1: Marginality: theory and indicators
• Session 2: Mountains
Wednesday, August 22
• Session 3: Environmental issues
• Session 4: Social issues I
Thursday, August 23
• Session 5: Social issues II
• Session 6: Economic issues I
• Session 7: Economic issues II
• Business meeting
The conference included three field trips:
- A half-day tour presented the city of Dubrovnik and her immediate surroundings.
- A full-day trip took participants into the Neretva valley and delta.
- A half-day trip by boat introduced the participants to the Dalmatian islands off the Croatian coast.
The Business Meeting was held after the conference on Friday, August 23, 2012, 16.00 – 17.00 hrs. It was attended by all 15 participants to the trip and chaired by the Commission secretary, Prof. Walter Leimgruber. He replaced the Commission chair Prof. Etienne Nel who was retained in New Zealand for professional reasons.